Love Month

Hello February. More specifically...hello Valentines Day. 

We meet again. *le sigh*

Eight years ago, my daughter was just a pee wee and barely old enough to talk but she dubbed this day as "Happy Loves Day." It was always a day full of pink and red dresses, cut out heart love notes on my kids' bedroom doors, and little boxes of chocolates. It was making valentines boxes for school, buying little cards and writing their names 30 times over, and making heart shaped brownies to enjoy after dinner. I tried for many years to make it so special for my kids so they didn't feel left out. It was important to me that they felt so so loved...yes, even if it was over the top for one silly day. 

But eventually, it kind of fizzled. And thats on me. 

You see, I am not a "Loves Day" fan. I'm not over the moon about spending ridiculous amounts of money on one random day, in the middle of the shortest month of the year, because someone told me that I should. I'm not excited about going out to dinner with hundreds of others and waiting for an hour past my reservation time that was made two weeks prior. I don't need a dozen red roses, a box of chocolates or a bottle of champagne from my significant other in order to feel loved and important. I'm just not that girl. 

Once upon a time, I was. But, I am not that girl anymore. 

Friends, if you love someone, it's should be for everyday, not just one day. It's when you're together and when you're apart. It's through the ups and the downs, the good and bad days, and all the days in between. It's all the reasons that I decided "I never want my kids to think that one day defines what love is or what it means."

Through trial and error, backlash from those around me, being told I was a stick in the mud (mild version) and super selfish, I decide the hell with one day...lets celebrate all month long. 

So while the rest of the world celebrates Valentines Day, my kids and I choose to celebrate  "Love Month". We choose to celebrate love for each other and for ourselves for a solid 28 days. We practice acts of service, choosing words of kindness, and the art of self care. From post-it notes with encouraging words, to shared chores, to long baths or a good book...we give each other (and ourselves) permission (and reminders) to just love. 

After the last two years of pandemic hell we've been living in, I felt like I needed to go a step further....share the love with/for others too.  

So I put it out on social media. 

On February 1st, I told those on the inter-webs that during the month of love, we all needed to learn to love ourselves a little more,  I said I would dedicate one post each day and share gentle reminders to 'Love YOU.' [#loveyou] 

It's been 14 days and so far, it's been positive and well received. And I will be the first to admit, that I needed to read my own reminders more than I thought. Kinda funny how sometimes, the words we need to hear are the ones we’ve looked at a million times without realizing it. And you know what, thats perfectly ok! Self love is  forever a work in progress. 

Will I always 'hate' Valentines day? Maybe. Maybe not. 

But one thing is for sure...

I will always be a fan of "Love Month" because it will always be ok to LOVE YOU and share love to others. 

"You're the most permanent person in your life. So choose you, always." - Anonymous

xoxo, 







Comments

  1. I completely understand the sentiment. I also know that in these rough days, it can be hard to remember that self care is the best care. There are those of us in the world that spend so much time giving to others, that we leave our tank empty when it's time to love ourselves.

    I love the concept of Love Month, and I support and appreciate YOU for constantly filling my cup with you r kind words.

    You rock sis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Chances

Happy Birthday

Finding my way back