The Power of Music

The other day, I watched the 'Greatest Showman' with my daughter. I've seen it many times before, but that day, it struck all the chords. For every song, I closed my eyes, and just let myself be. 

I felt it. All the words. Like they were speaking directly to my soul. 

And I cried. 

Have you ever just listened to the words of a song and they brought on a whole new meaning? Like, you've heard the song a thousand times before, and just sang along but never really processed the lyrics? The true meaning of the song? 

Music is my escape. It's my "thing"...my healing power, my super-power, my voice. It's my heart spilled out into a hundred different verses and genres. And yet, it's my kryptonite. It gets me every time. Every time I turn on a music app, it knows just want I need. Every.single.time. 

I was talking with a friend today about this very thing. How something so powerful, yet simple, can take a grown women to her knees. How it can be and say all the things. How it grabs hold of your emotions, so deep, that you didn't even know they were there. 

Or maybe you did...and you didn't know they were so raw. And you have tried to keep them hidden, pushed them down so far into a hole. Because you didn't want to feel them...or maybe you don't believe them. 

Friends, I encourage you to just listen...REALLY listen...to the lyrics of your favorite song. There is a reason why you love it, and it could mean so much more than you think. When someone tells you what their favorite song is, I encourage you to really listen to the lyrics of it. They shared that it was their favorite for a reason. Maybe this is their way of opening up to you? Just listen. 

The power of Music is my therapy. It is the one constant in my life and I am forever grateful for it. 

What is your favorite song? 

xoxo,
T


Comments

  1. Hard saying.... either "Somewhere between I love you and I am leaving" by Cody Jinks or "Save me" By Jelly Roll

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Chances

Happy Birthday

Finding my way back